?

Log in

Chris Cowan's Journal

> recent entries
> calendar
> friends
> profile
> previous 20 entries

Monday, June 6th, 2016
5:15 pm - EU Referendum: Answers and Questions
There’s a lot of answers surrounding the EU referendum debate at the moment, it’s quite confusing trying to pick the correct one this is possibly because we’re trying to answer the wrong questions.
Instead of asking will I be better off leaving or remaining in the EU you can ask yourself another question. I’m going to vote to remain, how much guaranteed would convince me to vote leave £100 a year, £1000, £10,000? I’m going to vote to leave, how much guaranteed would convince me to vote to remain £100 a year, £1000, £10,000? In both cases it’s probably a lot, or at least a lot more than the numbers promoted in all the articles and videos floundering around the internet.
A similar argument can be made for other questions. Not democratic enough, how democratic would it have to be?
Too long to arrange new trade deals, how quick would it have to be, what if they were already in place?
Too many immigrants, what's the maximum number you'd be happy with?
The big question for June 23rd isn’t about money, how Europe is run, how we trade with Europe or about migration, it’s about identity. It’s about how we feel about Europe. Do you feel connected somehow to those other people who live across the water (or for some people across the border) , in spite of speaking different languages, eating different foods or listening to different music, or do you fear them because of those self same reasons?
So on June 23rd I'll be voting to remain because I do feel connected to the rest of Europe. This doesn’t mean I disagree with the economic or political arguments for remaining, because generally I do but I know quoting these at people who are vehemently in the leave camp won’t change their minds and generally those arguments aren’t why I’m voting to remain.
I'm lucky enough to have visited a number of different European countries, met different European people and experienced their different cultures. Many people in the UK may not have had this opportunity and as such may be more inclined to vote to leave as their exposure to Europe is different to mine.
The important thing about this referendum is that you must vote but do not vote out of fear or hate, do not vote because of greed, do not vote because of the situation now but vote for the future that inspires you.

(3 comments | comment on this)

Thursday, June 14th, 2012
10:30 am - Spare ticket for the Crash of Elysium
I have a spare ticket for the interactive Dr Who adventure play The Crash of Elysium next Wednesday (20th June) at 7:20pm, in Ipswich. Anyone interested give me a buzz.

(comment on this)

Tuesday, February 21st, 2012
3:43 am - Dinosaurs in the Snow

(comment on this)

Thursday, October 6th, 2011
1:52 am - The most controlling force in the universe and a dalek

(comment on this)

Wednesday, September 28th, 2011
2:39 am - Birds at Shepreth

(comment on this)

Monday, March 7th, 2011
5:43 am - Chris' Birthday Bash : Saturday 12th March
For my birthday this year I'm,
- having tea and cakes at home in the afternoon (~3:30pm)
- going to the pub which pub has yet to be decided (~6:00pm)
- going to Shukria's Curry House on Mill Road (~7:30pm)
All are invited to all components but the tea and cakes is child freindly (there will be a tea alternative for children).
RSVP.
Cheers,
   Chris

Posted via email from rhubarbfool's posterous

(1 comment | comment on this)

Friday, January 21st, 2011
5:16 am - Kristin Hersh gig Monday 24th of January, Bloomsbury Theatre, London
I've got a spare spot on the guest list for this gig on Monday (http://www.thebloomsbury.com/event/run/1512) if anyone wishes to tag along.
The gig starts at 7:30pm.

Posted via email from rhubarbfool's posterous

(comment on this)

Thursday, December 23rd, 2010
5:50 am - Downing college in the snow

(comment on this)

Wednesday, December 15th, 2010
8:16 am - Wishing you a happy Christmas

(comment on this)

Tuesday, December 7th, 2010
6:37 am - Snowy landscape West Yorkshire

(comment on this)

3:25 am - This morning was frosty in Cambridge

(1 comment | comment on this)

Friday, October 1st, 2010
1:48 am - Duxford and the clouds

(comment on this)

Monday, August 23rd, 2010
9:14 am - Bee

(comment on this)

9:02 am - Moth

These pictures were sent with Picasa, from Google.
Try it out here: http://picasa.google.com/

Posted via email from rhubarbfool's posterous

(comment on this)

Friday, May 21st, 2010
5:16 am - On holiday

Sadie in the round window

Posted via email from rhubarbfool's posterous

(1 comment | comment on this)

Thursday, May 20th, 2010
3:25 am - Logan likes swings

(comment on this)

Thursday, May 13th, 2010
6:51 am - Anyone fancy going to see John Cooper Clarke on Sunday

(comment on this)

Tuesday, April 27th, 2010
3:31 am - An image I know will appeal to quite a few of my friends

(comment on this)

Thursday, April 8th, 2010
3:13 am - Cbeebies birthday challenge
Sadie's birthday was on Sunday (4th April) and her card got read out on Cbeebies at 5:40pm just after Green Balloon club. I'd quite like a copy for posterity has anyone got a copy or could get one.
Cheers,
   Chris

Posted via email from rhubarbfool's posterous

(comment on this)

Monday, January 11th, 2010
7:53 am - Saddened at the news

(comment on this)

> previous 20 entries
> top of page
LiveJournal.com